Advice needed on Bechstein Concert Grand

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 10:29:07 EDT

Dear List,

I take care of 4 concert grands plus 2 other smaller grands at the Frank=20
Lloyd Wright estate in Spring Green, Wisconsin (about 35 miles west of=20
Madison).  There are 2 Bechsteins and 2 Steinways, all over 100 years old an=
d=20
all have been re-whatevered over the years.

A few years ago, the Bechstein in the theater received a new action which di=
d=20
improve it quite a bit.  The person who did the work tends to use softer=20
hammers with the Steinway like philosophy that over the long run, they will=20
brighten up.  When it was first delivered, it played well but was entirely=20
too soft.  I ended up doing what I have done many times with great success.=20=
=20
I put a tiny amount of very dilute hardener on the striking surface of each=20
hammer. =20

I do this because I know it will have an immediate effect but will not ruin=20
the rest of the hammer.  The strings will eventually cut through the area of=
=20
felt I treated and it will be filed away in the future.  It took all of 5=20
minutes to do and everyone was thrilled at the results.

Now, however, the very fine concert pianist who performs there with his=20
ensemble in a series of concerts in late July and early August wants=20
something more than what the piano has to offer.  He likes the old Steinway=20
which is in the dining room and which the choir uses to rehearse with better=
=20
even though it could really use complete restoration, itself. =20

Expense has always been a problem for the Frank Lloyd Write foundation but=20
apparently they will pay me for a day's work for whatever I can do to make=20
this piano better for the upcoming series.  Below are the pianist's remarks.=
 =20
Some of them seem contradictory.  Frankly, I didn't perceive any particular=20
problem with it when I tuned it on June 7.  It always stays in tune so well=20
from one year to the next that I can get it tuned in about 30 minutes.

When trying to make a piano better, I always look for the worst thing about=20
it to correct first.  I think that part of this piano's sound may be due to=20
some loss of crown over the years, something which could only be corrected b=
y=20
installing a new soundboard, something which is beyond what I could do.  I'm=
=20
inclined to think that the usual, align & file the hammers, go over the=20
regulation completely and leave a minimal amount of after touch, plus use=20
again a scant amount of hardener on the hammers would provide what this=20
pianist is looking for.  It appears that I also need to look at the damper=20
lift although I don't recall anything out of tolerance about them.

List, please read what the pianist has to say and give me your advice about=20
what to do for a day long concert prep of this piano.  Again, tuning will be=
=20
the least of it, probably about 30 minutes.

"Bill, here is a copy of Jeffrey's email to me describing his "wish list" fo=
r=20
the Bechstein.   I know
you can work your magic, and thank you for scheduling it. . .  Glad you will=
=20
be able to do it on July 26th. . .
Thanks, Susan