TOOLS/Hide Glue, etc/Isaac Oleg's post

Greg Torres Tunapiana440@cox.net
Mon, 13 May 2002 20:39:05 -0500

THIS was my main gripe on my previous 'rant' about the Steinway
hammers/parts/...
I also like a hammer bore that is a fairly snug fit. It should never be so
loose as for hammers to wobble. And for Steinway part's dept. to say that is
normal just blows my mind...

Best,
Greg Torres

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Delacour" <JD@Pianomaker.co.uk>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, May 13, 2002 7:12 PM
Subject: RE: TOOLS/Hide Glue, etc/Isaac Oleg's post

> What is a standard hole?  The hammers should be bored so that they are a
very tight fit on the shank before knurling.  The shank should then be
rolled through the knurling machine to reduce the diameter so that the
hammer can be turned without creaking for about 20 seconds after gluing.
After that it should become too tight as the moisture from the glue
re-expands the compressed shank.  The hammer should never at any stage have
any wobble, let alone 'fall'!  If the hammers are carefully bored, hammer
fitting is straightforward provided you follow the proper procedures.  To
have to rely on "wobble" for fore-and-aft positioning is a sign that the
hammer heads have not been bored properly -- and there is at least one
well-known German hammer maker whose speed exceeds his exactness.  I always
bore my own and save myself a lot of trouble.