Laying Down on the Job

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 12:24:28 -0500

Alan,

Why don't you just buy a tilter? You'll use it in the future, and if you
have lots of repair work on this bridge, you'll be glad for just this one
job.

Maybe you could go in with 2-3 people in your area and share the cost. You
could keep it until the other tech needed it. Or, buy one and rent it out
for $25-50/use.
John M. Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS
http://www.mygreatbiz.net

Low long-distance, toll-free service, Skytel paging, Dish Network, internet
dial-up, and more!

  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Alan R. Barnard
  Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 11:58 AM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: Laying Down on the Job

  I need to do extensive bridge repairs on a Hamilton Studio. I don't own a
tilter. Appreciate any advice, instructions, warnings on the best way to lay
this baby down for surgery.

  Assume I'll have to remove the whole lid assy before I start.

  Should I put 2x4's behind it, then have a couple of people help me do it
to it?

  Going down, and coming back up, how will those casters (a) take the strain
and (b) cause a problem with the piano rolling while being tilted.

  Note: Hey, Wim, I've heard you tell the story of chasing a piano across
the gym floor ... don't want a similar experience.