Laying Down on the Job

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 10:53:02 -0700 (PDT)

I advise getting a tilter, the collapsible kind. it
will pay for itself quickly! Then get a simple nylon
ratchet strap, and weave it between the posts on the
piano back and around something on the tilter and
ratchet it tight. This will obviate the piano
"scooting" out from the tilter and slamming on its
back on the floor ( much more likely on concrete than
carpet, of course! )
     These ratchet straps ( about $18 for 3 ) are also
EXCELLENT for leveling plates when hoisting/lowering
out and into cases. Although only 1-1/2" wide, they
have a 1,500lb breaking stength, and I have used 3
going in a "pyramid" to varous plate struts to lift
out a concert grand plate with no preoblem! What makes
them superior to big web straps with buckles is that
the ratchets allow very precise, easy leveling of the
plate.
WARNING: I DID once get a really crappy set with metal
as thick as a tin can, which broke instantly. ( Not on
a plate lift, thank you!) But the sort sold at Lowe's,
Home Depot etc. with the strength rating on the
package and steel about 1/16 thick shoud be just fine.
Great for strapping pianos to truck racks, too, where
I also try to weave around back posts, not around
cabinet where it causes chafing.
     Girdon Stelter