Qristmas & Chuestions

Alan R. Barnard mathstar@salemnet.com
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 14:59:33 -0500

Everybody:

Client just knocked on my door to pay the $95 bucks he owes me .. then =
said his uncle would pay for "fixing up" his piano with the new hammers =
and such that it needs. Ho Ho Ho, there IS a Santa Claus

Background: Piano is on older Chickering short grand, about 5'2" (have =
not found any serial # on it).

The pinblock needs replacing but that is not something I own the tools =
to do, nor have I any experience--never even seen it done. If need be, I =
can probably find a tech to co-op the job with but would rather not as =
there are no PTG techs (or others I trust to know what they are doing) =
for many miles around. Either bite the bullet and get what I need, help =
another tech do one for the experience, etc., all possibilities.

BTW I did install a DC in this piano some months ago but it does not =
hold tune well. Pinblock has cracks and laminate separations.

1. What about treating the old block with epoxy, then using 4/0 pins?

2. Hammers & shanks ... your preferences for this piano???

3. Piano uses the Chickering grand brass plates. Any point in trying to =
convert to wooden flanges, or just replace old brass???

4. Biggie! I've replace several sets of damper felt lately--trichords =
never want to seat right. Felt is too soft or something (tried Laoureux =
and Schaff generic). Anyone have a secret way to get trichords to sit =
between the strings???????

Thanks, in advance for all responses, I owe you a root beer.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Ho Ho Mo