Laying Down on the Job

Mike and Jane Spalding mjbkspal@execpc.com
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 15:06:33 -0500

Alan,

First question, why don't you own a tilter?  If cost is the reason, e-mail me privately and I'll describe the tilter I fabricated from a sheet of 3/4" plywood and a couple of wheelbarrow handles.

Yes, the casters will present some significant hazard.  To lay it down without a tilter, (and I do this even when I'm using a tilter) first lift each end of the piano, and slide a 4x4 under the end, preferably right next to the casters.  Now the piano can't roll away from you as you tilt.  Ideally, the 4x4's are about 6' long, with the extra length extending out the back, so that as you lay the piano down the back rests on the 4x4's.  I'd want 3 people, even though 2 could probably handle it.

Definitely remove the lid assembly.  If "extensive" means you will be slacking strings and moving them off of the bridge(s), then you must also remove the action, unless you intend to replace all the damper felts afterwards (DAMHIK).

good luck

Mike Spalding RPT

----- Original Message -----
From: Alan R. Barnard <mathstar@salemnet.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 11:58 AM
Subject: Laying Down on the Job

I need to do extensive bridge repairs on a Hamilton Studio. I don't own a tilter. Appreciate any advice, instructions, warnings on the best way to lay this baby down for surgery.

Assume I'll have to remove the whole lid assy before I start.

Should I put 2x4's behind it, then have a couple of people help me do it to it?

Going down, and coming back up, how will those casters (a) take the strain and (b) cause a problem with the piano rolling while being tilted.

Note: Hey, Wim, I've heard you tell the story of chasing a piano across the gym floor ... don't want a similar experience.