Cleaning Steinway Action brackets and Rails

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 00:59:49 EDT

In a message dated 10/1/2002 8:07:30 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net writes:

> Subj:Cleaning Steinway Action brackets and Rails
> Date:10/1/2002 8:07:30 PM Pacific Daylight Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:davidlovepianos@earthlink.net">davidlovepianos@earthlink.net</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>
>               Dave

                       Haven't tried gunk . It might be too corrosive.
        We usually use brasso and steel wool  along with  braided candle wick
to get between the reg. screws. I haven't tried tarnex but it sounds like a
possibility.
I've also glass beaded them which gets it super clean gives the rails and
brackets  a mat finish if you don't mind that look. The plus is that it's
very uniform and clean  looking and you can spray a light coat of clear
lacquer over it to resist future tarnishing. If your corrosion is deep this
may be the step required for this action.
     We then cut the really nice string braid, from Pianotech, into strips
and lightly glue this to the hammer flange rails with contact cement. It
gives a good grip and a nice appearance.
             Dale Erwin