Cleaning Steinway Action brackets and Rails

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 08:02:32 -0400

At 8:07 PM -0700 10/1/02, David Love wrote:
>Has anyone ever used an engine cleaning product called Gunk (I
>think) for cleaning action brackets and rails.  I've got a very
>disgusting one that needs some serious treatment.  Any other ideas?

I've used something called "Copper Brite" for years: COPPER BRITE
Inc., 1482 East Valley Rd., Santa Barbara, CA, 93108. The directions
are simple:

1.) Apply with a damp sponge
2.) Rinse promptly with warm water, not detergent
3.) Wipe dry

You are now looking at virgin copper, ready to buff.

The only complication is step #2, rinsing a tubular action rail
perforated with screw hole, with running water. I've learned to lay
the Copper Bite down in a very thin film (to reduce the amount
needing rinsing), and avoid as much as possible the side of the
casing opened up to the dowel core.

That's not hard considering that what you're doing is cosmetic, and
as such really only needs to be done on the front of the hammer rail
(the top is covered by rail cloth and flanges) and the front and top
of the let-off rail (again, great care to be taken).

I much prefer a high polish on these rails to any other finish (bead
blast, spray can of gold). I'm assuming that's the way the newly
assembled actions looked a hundred years ago.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Filing the bridgepins sure puts a sparkle on the restringing, but is
best done before the plate is re-installed"
     ...........recent shop journal entry