Estimating guidelines?

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 10:50:36 EDT

Jason writes:
>and (help me with the term I can't think of) the moment after backcheck,
>when the hammers are supposed to rise an eighth of an inch before they
>drop back, the repetition springs are too strong and they bounce up almost
>to the string before falling.

Greetings,
   I don't know about 1/8" rise.  After the hammer checks, the rep. spring is
supposed to be compressed enough to speed the return of the key.  This is
measured by the speed of hammer rise as it goes from check to "drop".  Since
drop is most optimally set at the same distance as let-off, (approx. 1/16"),
the distance from check,which may be 1/2" from string, will be closer to
7/16".
   You needn't set spring tension before ascertaining that the grub is clean
and lubed, the spring end polished, the balancier and hammerflange pinning is
correct, and the knuckle/mortise friction is proper.
   Then set spring tension so that the hammer rises as fast as possible
without recoil being felt in the key.
That 100 year old Steinway may have the "silver" springs",(I don't know what
the alloy is).  If so,  be prepared for some breakage.
Good luck,
Ed Foote RPT