Leverage and Dip

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 21:15:11 -0400

At 11:27 PM +0200 10/2/02, Richard Brekne wrote:
>In other words... given a 10 mm dip..... what are the
>highest and lowest total action ratios you can end up with?

If one was to try to program in a target dip, it would be no
challenge as log as one wasn't also specifying a target blow at the
same time. These are what would require a Strike Balance Ratio change
you know how to do that.

The problem is of course that there is no direct correlation between
action leverage as measure by distance and by weight. But you could
still use the Stanwood procedure of capstan relocation, or
Gravigne's/Davenport's/whoever's method of knuckle relocation to
satisfy these requirements.

Bear in mind that while you may find your new cap/knuckle location on
a couple of samples, while the rest of the keyboard when set up
according to these samples may show considerable variation. (Remember
the FW/BW fork in the road with the Stanwood method?) Which would
mean that once the action is re-regulate with the new set-up, your
aftertouch could stagger around significantly within the specific
10mm dip.

The real answer to this is what is the difference between the string
heights and the action cavity height (room under the pinblock).
That'll set the linit of how short a blow you can have with this 10mm
dip, as the SBR goes downwards.

You can start off with a rigid 10mm dip, and depending on how high
you can reset the hammer line (higher with lower SBRs and visa-versa)
you can get aftertouch to happen at a reasonable point in this dip,
with a range of SBRs.

Specifying a 10mm dip is one thing, whether that is accompanied by a
required blow (or further yet, on top of that, a specified
aftertouch) is another. Maybe you should rephrase the question.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"I go, two plus like, three is pretty much totally five. Whatever"
     ...........The new math