Universal bass string replacement

Benny L. Tucker precisionpiano@alltel.net
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 21:58:44 -0400

Hi folks,
    I've replaced many treble strings during my short piano tech career, but
today I was fortunate enough to break a bass string while tuning a customers
piano.
    I've had a whole set of universals in my truck since I started tuning
outside of the plant, but until now I've been lucky enough to not need them.
I usually splice a new leader if at all possible, but this one broke at the
agraff.
    What I'm having trouble with is the mic measurements of the old string.
The core wire comes out to a size 9, but with the copper windings diameter,
I could not get a good reading. On different parts of the windings I could
get anywhere from .078 to .085, depending on where I measured at.
    Any help on measuring/installing this universal string would be most
appreciated. The piano is a Story & Clark Church piano, in fair shape at
best. Other than that I would probably order a custom string. The Church is
a very small Church with a very low budget, we're trying to get by as
economical as possible.
    Thanks in advance for your expertise!!

Benny L. Tucker
Yamaha Factory Tuner