To be or not to be: a heavy hammer

Wed, 2 Oct 2002 22:25:34 -0700

The question was put to me off list about why I reject the idea that =
heavier hammers are necessary on a concert instrument.  I thought I =
would put my reply on list because I think it is an interesting =
discussion. =20

The practice of putting heavier hammers on a concert instrument comes =
from the idea that more mass will produce greater force and therefore =
greater volume of tone.  But mass is only part of the equation.  Force =
=3D mass x acceleration.  While it is true that if hammers of varying =
weights are accelerated equally, the one with more mass will have more =
force, it is also true that a hammer of lower mass will be accelerated =
to a higher velocity more easily.  This is especially true in a piano =
where lower mass in the hammer results in lower inertia at the hammer =
end as well as in the key.  Whether you have more mass and less =
acceleration or more acceleration and less mass, as long as the mass of =
the lighter hammer is not so much less that its deficiency cannot be =
compensated for by increased acceleration, the potential force in the =
two examples can be equal. =20

Because pianos are played from pppp to ffff, the only area of concern is =
in the potential force at the highest end.  You don't benefit from a =
more massive hammer at the pppp level.  In fact, since there is a point =
below which soft playing cannot be reliably controlled, a lighter hammer =
will give greater dynamic range at the bottom end.  So the only concern =
is at the top end.  Assuming that the difference in hammer weight can be =
compensated for by greater acceleration, the heavier hammer will =
actually have a narrower dynamic range. =20

As I already mentioned,  a lighter hammer will reap benefits in terms of =
lower inertia both due to lower hammer weight and lower front weight of =
the keys.  Lighter hammers will rebound off the strings more quickly =
increasing sustain and improving clarity.  Lighter hammers will also =
allow you to maintain an action ratio that doesn't require compromises =
of key dip, blow or both.   One final concern with very heavy hammers is =
the deflection of the shank at high level of acceleration.  Though I =
haven't looked into the research in any great detail, I know that Renner =
has given this a lot of consideration in the design of their shanks.  =
If, in trying to accelerate a very heavy hammer to high levels, the =
shank deflects to the point that the hammer is striking fairly far from =
top dead center, how much force and tonal quality are we losing because =
of this and, therefore, is there any real benefit to trying to increase =
the upper range limit anyway.

Those are my thoughts.  Feel free to comment.=20

David Love