To be or not to be: a heavy hammer

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Thu, 3 Oct 2002 09:09:27 +0200

While I tend to believe that concert instruments will benefit of hammers in
the "high" zone of the chart, I see that the flexing of the shank add
velocity to the hammer too.

Lighter hammers tend to produce a cleaner sound , but my impression, because
of the so large mass of every other part of the piano, is that they will
give less low partials, as noticed on the re felted hammers I meet sometime.

It is just a choice in the wanted tone I guess.

To have the Glengould tone we will not need heavy hammers at all, but Arthur
Rubinstein would be sad of a too light one I guess.

Then it is also a board question if I understand well, but I am still to
hear the boards made by certain builders. If CD are available I'd be
interested.

S&S hammers are going on a lighter side actually, but I believe these are
economic reasons too unfortunately (predict wear in 10years).

I'll think of it

regards.

Isaac O..