Jorgensen Analyses EBVT

SidewaysWell1713@aol.com SidewaysWell1713@aol.com
Thu, 3 Oct 2002 14:12:57 EDT

List,

Just home for lunch and in the mail was a complete report from Owen Jorgensen
on the EBVT.  I'll just skip what I could say and what I should say to you
know who because I've already said it and I stand firmly behind what I've
said.  I think what I'll do when I get the chance is to scan Owen's hand
written documents and post them on my website.  I have other more pressing
matters at the moment however, as I am preparing solo vocal material for 2
upcoming concerts and am writing an arrangement.  I'd rather be doing this
than copying numbers out of a book and dialing them into my Accu-Tuner.

I'll get the info to Jason Kanter as soon as I can so he can make a corrected
graph.  Jason's Graphs are true works of art and have helped me immensely.  I
also appreciate the input from Ron Koval and Kent Swafford.

Here are quotes from the page where Owen calculated the interval sizes pf the
Major 3rds:  "This is excellent form and balance".  "The sound of this
temperament is very musical, revealing excellent taste".  In his cover
letter, he writes, "...you can see that the harmonic balance is wonderful and
that you have a very fine, musical temperament".

Here, for those eager to dial in some numbers are Owen's correction figures:

C   +1.2
C#  -0.8
D   +0.9
D#  +.09
E    -2.0
F    +1.8
F#   -2.7
G   +3.1
G#  +1.2
A      0.0
A#  +2.4
B      0.0

As you can see, these are very small deviations from ET.  That is what makes
the EBVT tuned on a modern piano compatible with all other instruments and
with all types of music.  The high incidences of intervals which beat exactly
the same or very similarly to each other give the piano a distinctly more
pleasing resonance than that which is found in ET.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin