Baldwin caster socket questions

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Thu, 03 Oct 2002 19:20:05 -0400

Friends,

The music teacher said the right rear caster of the 1974 Baldwin studio
school piano (typical Hamilton type) wasn't working properly.  I noticed
it was angled, so I put the piano on the tilter and learned that the
socket had failed.  The stem of the caster also appears bent a little
and the caster is quite worn.  It took me more than a half hour to get
the socket out, because it was expanded in the middle and wouldn't come
out the hole!  I got it out, bit by bit, but it was tough.  Now to my
questions.

1.  Do I need to get a genuine Baldwin caster socket?  As it turned out,
I had to also tilt an older Everett studio piano because the caster
socket was loose, and I noticed that the Everett had six or maybe even
eight caster sockets under there!  It appeared that the bottom of the
Everett was designed for different types of casters to be put in
different locations, depending on whether the piano was being built for
school or home use.  It appeared that an unused caster socket there was
*sooo close* to what I needed, but I feared that the height or the stem
might be just enough different that it wouldn't be worth the hassle
trying to make it work.  I couldn't get back to the Baldwin since it was
then in use.  The piano doesn't get moved around a lot other than
frequently being repositioned a little in the room.

2.  If getting genuine Baldwin parts is the way to go, whom do I call?
(I need a number.)

3.  How important is the little brass collar toward the top of the
Baldwin caster stem?  It is pretty well buggered up.  Can I buy just the
little collar?

4.  Should I try to buy new casters as well?  They show a lot of wear, I
don't know whether I can straighten the stem, and the school will likely
keep the piano for a practice room, even though it is so worn that I
would advise them to replace it.

5.  The socket hole is now expanded in the center.  Does the socket's
walls depend on a tight hole for support?  If so, how do I fill up the
place where the hole was made wider by the failed socket and the end of
the socket stem?

Any other advice would be helpful also.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger