A Day in the Life

Carol Beigel crbrpt@bellatlantic.net
Thu, 3 Oct 2002 22:27:28 -0400

I was referring to the sniper shootings of 5 people today in the area of
town where I was working.  I was tuning pianos in the north suburbs of
Washington, D.C., where I grew up, and a shooter with a long range rifle
picked-off 5 ordinary people doing ordinary things... a guy riding a mower
working for a lawn service, an elderly woman coming out of the post office
next door to the branch of the bank I had intended to deposit my daily
proceeds; someone coming out of a grocery store, etc.  I think it's on the
CNN website.  The homocide rate increased by 25% in 6 hours!

It can be rough,sometimes, working in the D.C. area.  People come to town to
protest this and that and close down the streets with demonstrations - you
can't get to your calls.  Today, I needed to go to work to support my
family, but sniper fire?  Our schools were locked down today - nobody in,
and nobody out.  Nothing moved.  The funny thing,though, is that I would
have turned around and gone back home for a quarter inch of snow, but not
for some crazed sniper!  I suppose I could wish for the good old days,
though, when we had nuclear bomb drills where we put our arms behind our
heads and ducked under out desks.  Not to mention the crazies who poison the
mail and hijack airplanes and aim them into the buildings where your family
and neighbors work.

But you continue to work, to bring what harmony you can, and hope your
children and your grandchildren live through it all!  No, this is not
Bosnia, it is the capital city of the free world.

Carol Beigel