Baldwin caster socket questions

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Fri, 04 Oct 2002 07:44:44 -0400

At 07:32 PM 10/3/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>>  Can I buy just the
>>little collar?

Usually, the dimple at the end of the socket will hold the caster stem but
I the odd case that it doesn't
you can get a plumbing fitting to work. I think it's a 3/8"
compression-fitting ring. File it to fit into the post channel
and cut it so it will open to go onto the post, close around post; insert
into socket.   I don't remember if the saw kerf
produces enough material removed for a proper wrap.

>>5.  The socket hole is now expanded in the center.  Does the socket's
>>walls depend on a tight hole for support?

Schaff will also have a wooden sleeve to fit over the socket. These are for
those big old hunkers of the 'one-piece' unit
variety. You may have to enlarger the hole in the case to accommodate them.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@attbi.com