how long until good sound

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sat, 5 Oct 2002 21:28:27 +0200

    Stéphane ,

    What are you calling normal value in that case . Did the board show some
crown before unstringing, and after stringing ?

      he treble in Bechstein is often a bit weak, plus, if the keyboard is
not well seated, you will have a lack of power and a very weak tone in the
places it dos not bed enough.

      Took me 1 year to learn to hear when I need more pressure,(or less)
and 6 months to learn to feel and hear the bedding. Some restored pianos I
worked on where not even playable by my standards before I could regulate
them.
      If the tone seems to be gone out from the piano you may double check
that first. Usually when the bedding is OK, the hammer's state and the
soundboard + string state is self evident.

      I see more that often grand pianos where a rebuild add the abstract
downbearing on a tired board, and the board respond by going on strike. The
little power that you can obtain does not justify the lost of the singing
quality.
      Second, when you take the plate off, everything can happen, from a
board that was holding its shape because of the good habit it have and that
collapse when unstrained.

      I once have to install some brass piece under the bass strings of a
Bösendorfer, as the high downbearing on the basses did not please the
medium. That helped (tone was constrained before)

      That's why rebuilding is a craft.

      Good luck

      Regards.

      Isaac OLEG

  I checked of course for downbearing.  In this case, before restoration the
strings appeared to be just straight (no angle) and yes there was a lack of
power in the high trebble, but not really a problem, as the singing
capabilities were great.  After restoration, downbearing was in normal
values, but really no more singing.