how long until good sound

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Sun, 6 Oct 2002 20:53:12 +0200

Hello Isaac.

Thanks for advise.  My reaction between your lines.
      What are you calling normal value in that case . Did the board =
show some crown before unstringing, and after stringing ?

Well, I use a dial showing .001" precision measurements.  I measure =
downbearing putting this three legged dial with the two outer legs =
(distant of 1.5" from each other) on the string at each side of the =
bridge, and the third mobile leg (the one measuring distance between =
itself and a straight line going from one of the outer legs to the =
other) on the bridge self.
Before restoration, the dial showed .000" everywhere (strings were =
straight).  After the restoration, the dial showed .020" in the middle =
of the trebble bridge, .015" at the trebble side, and .013" on the bass =
bridge. I found similar values on very well sounding Bechstein pianos.  =
I supposed that these readings indicated that there was some crown in =
the board (maybe I a wrong ?), and also that the plate ended up a little =
lower than it was.

By the way, how do you measure downbearing (I am still confused about =
how to do this efficiently, and how to interpret readings) ?
      the treble in Bechstein is often a bit weak, plus, if the keyboard =
is not well seated, you will have a lack of power and a very weak tone =
in the places it dos not bed enough.
I agree totally.
        Took me 1 year to learn to hear when I need more pressure,(or =
less)  and 6 months to learn to feel and hear the bedding.
All I have been told uptill now is that more pressure causes the tone to =
be more powerful but less sustaining, and other way round.  I imagine =
that it is a bit more complicated than that.
When you hear that you need less pressure, how do you achieve this ? =
take away the strings again, and pulling the plate out to shim it ?=20
        Second, when you take the plate off, everything can happen, from =
a board that was holding its shape because of the good habit it have and =
that collapse when unstrained.

I agree again, and I am very afraid of taking the plate off of a piano =
that has a nice sound.
        I once have to install some brass piece under the bass strings =
of a B=F6sendorfer, as the high downbearing on the basses did not please =
the medium. That helped (tone was constrained before)

        That's why rebuilding is a craft.

Oh yes.  And I long to learn as much about it as I can (thanks to you =
and all the generous people on the list).

Best regards