Baldwin caster socket question/Keith McGavern

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sun, 6 Oct 2002 19:46:58 -0700

Keith,
Would that I had used the term "less expensive", not tweaked your quarry?
IMO, Cheap is Cheap. As I have not run into the term "university style
caster", please expand on this please. Most Hamilton uprights that I have
seen have a less expensive type of double wheel caster. It has been my
experience, in Grade School and High School situations, that these fail on a
regular basis. As most schools want to avoid any Liability problems, they,
when given the choice of "original equipment", as opposed to the "best"
available, will choose the latter.
As for only installing "where they were not originally intended", I would
have to say that most of my installations of the really good Darnells, (as
previously described), are on pianos that had the cast iron, el cheapo/tear
up the floor kind. The ladies of the house greatly appreciate this, as it is
very easy for them to pull the piano out, to clean behind.
That's my take on that. <G>
Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)