L.O.S.S.

Tvak@aol.com Tvak@aol.com
Sun, 6 Oct 2002 22:44:08 EDT

Why is it that some strings on a piano exhibit Lack Of Sustain Syndrome?  I
prep new pianos at a local dealer and I find that there are unisons in the
treble (octave 5 or 6) that have notably less sustain than their neighbors.
I'll be tuning along, each note singing, DINNNNNN, DINNNNNN, and then I come
to its neighbor, DINK.

There are some things we can eliminate, like the damper not lifting, or the
hammer double striking or blocking against the string.  These pianos have
been regulated from square one (key height and dip).  The strings have been
seated to the bridge and there are no false beats whatsoever.  It's not my
unison tuning because it can be heard in the individual strings of the
unison.  They are also NOT low quality Asian imports.

If anyone has an idea, I'd be interested to understand why one perfectly good
brand new string vibrates better than the one right next to it.

Tom Sivak

P.S.
It's most noticeable from playing the 3 string unisons