Baldwin caster socket question

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Mon, 07 Oct 2002 07:30:01 -0500

>For the record:
>
>The university style casters I am referencing are the Schaff Piano Supply
>Company part #1592, twin rubberex wheels, brown oxidized finish, page 135
>
>versus
>
>the Schaff listed Darnell #2592. twin rubber fibre wheels, page 136 (black
>finish I've only seen).
>
>Keith McGavern

I've used both. The only practical difference I can see is that the #2592
will fit in a deeper existing socket counter bore than the #1592 and still
swivel. Otherwise, I consider them functionally interchangeable. Casters
are there for occasional repositioning, not for overland travel. Generally,
if the #1592 isn't enough caster for the abuse they heap on it, the #2592
won't be either and they need dollies - preferably heavy duty racing
dollies. The whole problem with casters on vertical pianos in schools is
not in the casters, but in the lack of intelligent approach to moving the
pianos around. The same mob mentality in full stampede that wrecks the
"cheap" casters will wreck the expensive ones just as thoroughly.

Ron N