October 2002 Piano Technicians Journal Issue

SidewaysWell1713@aol.com SidewaysWell1713@aol.com
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 16:14:09 EDT

In a message dated 10/7/02 10:09:41 AM Central Daylight Time,
kam544@gbronline.com writes:

> The article by Owen Jorgensen has some extremely relevant quotes and
> comments that were quite frankly, pleasantly entertaining and
> resolving statements for me concerning equal and unequal temperaments
> in general.

I completely agree.  I was reading just this morning.  I take issue however
with the notion that Braide White's book made the difference between everyone
really being able to tune a true ET and not.  In my view, it took the PTG,
Bill Garlick and the Standardized Tuning Exam for great numbers of
technicians to finally effect a true aural ET tuning.

Bill Garlick again, was the person who taught and spread the idea of
individualized aftertouch, a concept I have used ever since I learned it from
him in 1986.  His 5:4 relationship of contiguous 3rds and individualized
aftertouch really ought to merit him the Hall of Fame award.  They represent
the highest degree of progress and development in piano technology that each
and every one of us can use on a daily basis.

I also very much liked the "Temperament" article but was mislead by its very
premise.  I thought I was going to read about an idea like my own, Jim
Coleman's or Ron Koval's when I read about "making your own temperament".  I
see in the index that it says ET but it took reading the article a bit to
realize that "the temperament" actually meant "the temperament *sequence* "
(for tuning ET).

I have heard, time and again, Steinway techs talking about this "temperament"
or that "temperament" when they were always talking about ET, just different
*sequences* for tuning it.  I like the old fashioned term, "Bearing Plan"
because it implies the order in which the notes are tuned, not the kind of
actual temperament which is being tuned.

The Exam Committee picked up on my suggestion and I have seen it expressed as
"Temperament Sequence" ever since.  After all, it would be possible to use
any particular sequence to tune any number of temperaments.

This is not to detract from the intent of the article, however.  The ideas
are excellent.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin
www.Billbremmer.com