Lacquered Strings & Baldwin Identity

Robert Goodale rrg@unlv.edu
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 08:13:19 -0700

It sounds like the guy who did this was a real winner.  Best to my knowledge
Baldwin always cast the name into the plate.  On some of those old Kawai
Howards they would install one of those painted plastic name plate things
onto the plate which look like part of the casting.  I have never seen any
of those integrated shank knuckle things on a Baldwin action although I
suppose it could be a first.  (Is there an official name for those things by
the way??)  It sounds to me like someone is trying to make a Baldwin out of
a sow's ear!  This topic came up a couple years ago when someone spotted a
piano on e-bay listed as a Steinway when it was very obvious from the
picture that it was not.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV

> The piano was refinished and the dude put a "Baldwin" decal on the
fallboard. The owner and I would like to try and determine if this piano
really was a Balwin and or Hamilton. I think it could be even be a Brambach!
There is no name on the plate or anywhere else. The action has those funky
knuckle-integral-with-the-shank knuckles. Is anyone aware of any
distinguishing features of the OLD Baldwin/Hamilton microgrands - plate
shape or whatever? Thanks.