Lacquered Strings & Baldwin Identity

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Tue, 08 Oct 2002 11:53:26 -0500

Rob,

At 08:13 10/9/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>It sounds like the guy who did this was a real winner.  Best to my knowledge
>Baldwin always cast the name into the plate.  On some of those old Kawai
>Howards they would install one of those painted plastic name plate things
>onto the plate which look like part of the casting.  I have never seen any
>of those integrated shank knuckle things on a Baldwin action although I
>suppose it could be a first.  (Is there an official name for those things by
>the way??)

you may have run into an OLD Howard grand 4'8", or a Hamilton 4'10 or 5'2"

..and, yes, grasshopper, they had "pear" knuckles, as did most Baldwins
until the 30's

Conrad Hoffsommer PTG RPT, MPT, CCT

Certified Calibration Technician (CCT) for Bio-powered Digitally Activated
Lever Action Tone Generation Systems