Square-Drive Screw

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Tue, 08 Oct 2002 12:29:21 -0400

Terry,

Well...  If you are talking about using square-drive screws where no one except a piano rebuilder will ever want to remove them, fine.  But I ran into one of those old upright mirror cutdown jobs last week, where the home handyman who did the work had used some square-drive screws to hold case parts together.  I couldn't remove them to disassemble the case, so I was unable to  adjust the capstans.

This is virtually the first time I ran into these screws in a piano, so I was unprepared.  I already carry five screwdrivers into every house.  Will I have to add another variety, too?  I can, of course, but I would really prefer not to.  Then there are the star-head screws (oh, brother!).  ;-)