Square-Drive Screw/Best Multi-Use Screwdriver

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 14:31:29 -0300

Hi Clyde,
The site below, gives information, on the best multi use screw driver,
I have ever used.
With it you have maximum versatility, for size and bits, including 3
Robertson, 2 Phillips and 1 Flat. Other tips are available.
Unlike other multi-use screwdrivers, I have used, I have never lost
tip, I have been using it for a few Years now.

http://www.picquic.com/pro.html

Regards
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia.
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
----- Original Message -----
From: "Clyde Hollinger" <cedel@supernet.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 08, 2002 1:29 PM
Subject: Re: Square-Drive Screw

| Terry,
|
| Well...  If you are talking about using square-drive screws where no
one except a piano rebuilder will ever want to remove them, fine.  But
I ran into one of those old upright mirror cutdown jobs last week,
where the home handyman who did the work had used some square-drive
screws to hold case parts together.  I couldn't remove them to
disassemble the case, so I was unable to  adjust the capstans.

| This is virtually the first time I ran into these screws in a piano,
so I was unprepared.  I already carry five screwdrivers into every
house.  Will I have to add another variety, too?  I can, of course,
but I would really prefer not to.  Then there are the star-head screws
(oh, brother!).  ;-)

| Farrell wrote:
|
| > Yesterday I finished a 5' x 8' VERY flat table for soundboard
panel glue-up, thinning/tapering, and rib clamping. I screwed a sheet
of MDF to a lattice of straightened & squared & leveled &
epoxied-to-substrate 2x4s. When at the hardware store I was looking at
a box of philips-headed screws, and then I noticed an identical box,
but only the square drive heads. Remembering Roger Jolly's praise of
the square-topped screws, I bought them and a square driver for my
electric hand drill. Every screw went in perfect. Not even a hint of
ever wanting to strip out the head.