Dull Screwdriver! Reprise

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Tue, 08 Oct 2002 13:44:59 -0500

>>sharpen a screwdriver. As an aside, I'm still using the same screwdrivers I
>>purchased, inherited & found over the past 30+ years. They are not worn out!
>
>Same here. I'm still using some of my father's screwdrivers he bought
>before WW II!

Likewise, and I've picked up a number of other old good quality
screwdrivers through the years as well. My chisel collection consists of a
half dozen fairly new chisels, and maybe 20 old timers that I've
accumulated over the years from estate sales. The newer ones are usually
not among my first choices when I grab a chisel. Our kitchen knife
selection has filled in to mostly high quality knives (Sabatier, Henkle,
Trident) that I've bought cheap and severely pre-abused at the same sort of
places I got the chisels. Not a one of these terrific tools was in usable
condition what I bought it, because the previous owner had no idea how to
sharpen and maintain it. There is a huge pool of undiscovered high quality
edged tools out there for anyone taking the time and trouble to learn how
to salvage them. Phillips, I buy new and throw away when they get dull. No
point in messing with something having no reward at the end of the process.

With a decent bit and a screw that is made to some sort of actual standard,
Phillips drives actually work very well. Most folks use a bit long past the
point where it's too dull to be safe and effective, and other than drywall
screws, it's hard to find a Phillips head screw that fits a good bit
anyway. Put a power driver with no clutch in the hands of a bored worker
that doesn't care in any case, and he'll turn a Phillips head screw into a
countersunk ring shank nail pretty quickly. I know of at least a few
Kimballs out there with permanently installed keyslips and cheek blocks.

Life would sure be simpler if Roberts drives were standard, and had been
for the last hundred years. think how easy it would be to get that hammer
flange screw back in there past that jack if you could just spear it onto a
snug fitting square driver and poke it in without having to chase it under
the keys twice.

Wow.

Ron N