Maintenance Schedule Ideas?

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 00:46:00 EDT

In a message dated 10/9/02 2:20:56 AM !!!First Boot!!!, DJ_Streit@hotmail.com
writes:

> I have a new client with three 8 or 8 1/2 foot grands.  All are about three
> years old.  They requested that I write up a maintenance plan so they can
> schedule the funding and I have no idea where to start.  I'd like some
> input on this from those with experience.
>
> The client is a church.  The pianos are played very hard and frequently.
> I'm having a brain cramp at the moment and can't remember the brand name,
> but they were made in Czechoslovakia (sp?).  They all could use some
> regulation and one needs the key bushings replaced.
>
> I've never done a complete maintenance plan for an institution before so
> any ideas are welcome.
>
> David Streit, RPT
> Portland, OR

David

First of all, Czechoslovakia is no longer a country. There are, instead, two
countries, The Czech Republic and Slovakia. Not to sound like a teacher, but
don't you listen to the news? These countries have been separated for at
least 10 year, of not longer.

The pianos you are probably referring to are 7'2" Petrofs, Model II, made in
the Czech Republic.

When you say a maintenance plan, are you talking about a maintenance
schedule, where you come in regularly to tune the pianos? Or are you talking
about a repair estimate to tune, regulate, and repair the pianos, to get them
back in shape?

For a maintenance schedule, you need to indicate you will tune the piano once
a month for X number of dollars, or however often they want to have the
pianos tuned. With as much as you indicate they being used, once a month is
probably about right. You might want to give them a little discount, but not
much, off your regular tuning fee. The first couple of times, you will
probably spend your normal tuning time on the pianos. But once they are in
shape, a good touch up will probably take care of it.

Be sure to include in your maintenance contract that repairs, regulation and
voicing will be extra. You should say that these repairs, etc., will be
billed at X number of dollars per hour. You might want to put in there that
you want to be able to do any of that work, without asking for permission, up
to a certain amount, and that anything over that amount you will need to get
permission.

The other thing you want to include in your agreement is when, and how often
you will get paid. You might want to say you will bill then after each
service call, and that you expect to be paid no longer than 14 days, or so,
after they get the bill.

The last thing you want to include in your contract is an ending date. Or at
least that they give you a month's notice they no longer want to use you. You
might also want to include that you have the right to cancel them, and that
you will also give them 30 days notice.

Now, if all you want to do is give them an estimate for the work that needs
to be done, put down on paper exactly how much you will charge them for the
work you intend to do, and send it to them.

Wim