split case

Wed, 9 Oct 2002 08:01:14 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: October 09, 2002 3:47 AM
Subject: Re: split case

> If Del F. is still reading - you mentioned the other day about joining
short planks for panels. I wonder if this gizmo would be of benefit? It is
on the product page for http://www.westsystem.com

> 875 ScarfferTM
> A unique tool designed by Gougeon Brothers for cutting accurate scarf
joints in plywood up to 3/8" thick. Attaches easily to most circular saws
and is easily removed.

They may be claiming this as one of their own developments but these things
have been around for years--check your back issues of WoodenBoat magazine.

Sure, they would work but they are awfully wasteful of wood. They typically
cut an 8:1 or a 12:1 slope. Tests have shown that end-to-end joints using a
slope in this range, when properly glued, results in a joint that equals the
strength of the rest of the board. But this is overkill for a piano
soundboard. There is little or no load on an end-to-end joint in a board
used in a piano soundboard. One successful joint I have seen in this
application was simply a laid-down Z kind of thing. I'm working on it.

Del