need help on an appraisal

Alan R. Barnard mathstar@salemnet.com
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 11:06:48 -0500

In general (this from a former insurance adjuster), the insurer would only
pay to replace the piano at market value.

Consider the automobile. You wreck a 1990 Chevy. They offer you the Blue
Book (actually NADA black & yellow) value, let's say $1,800.

"But," says you, "I just had a rebuilt engine installed, the brakes were
completely redone last month, I replaced the radio with a high-boom ear
blaster, the body has been completely redone and repainted last week, the
tires are brand new AND I have emptied the ashtray."

"Oh," says the insurer, "That's different. We'll pay you $1,800."

Of course, there is no blue book for pianos--more's the pity--but the
principle is the same. If the customer paid $xxx dollars for the piano say
10 years ago, and could prove it, they would probably offer her $xxx dollars
today IF that was what they estimate it would take to buy another 1915 M (or
O or S). Otherwise, it's all up for negotiation and they will look at piano
claim pay-outs they and other insurers have made in the last five years or
so.

I don't have any direct experience with piano casualties, but I'm pretty
sure that's how it would be looked at. Others with piano claims experience,
please chime in.

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO