Phillips screws

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 11:16:17 -0700

All,
I should amend my statement, regarding replacement of phillips screws. (you
guys/gals certainly have a way of making me say what I mean, the first
time.<G>)
An example: on the new M&H they install the cheek blocks with HUGE Phillips
screws. I expect it and I have the appropriate Slot head screws on hand and
replace them on the first visit. As much as we take those cheek block
screws, in/out, I've found that it just saves on the frustration level to
just replace them. As for Asian pianos....they all have the Japanese type
phillips screws, on everything....No Way am I going to replace them! The
point is, that on Asian pianos, I automatically reach for the phillips
screwdrivers, whereas American I grab the slot head screwdriver. I just hate
grabbing one, then the other, then the other.....! (Pain in the butt, IMHO!)
Oh, there was some feedback on sharpening screwdrivers. Specifically, slot
type screw drivers. I would like to add, for your consideration, that, if
you are dealing with an olde piano the screw slot is NOT flat in the bottom
of the slot, but rather CURVED! This is because the olde screw slot was made
by a round slot cutter, which leaves a slightly curved surface. So, in
sharpening your screwdriver, you need to match that curve, in order to truly
have a good fit, that will not pop out of the slot. The proper technique for
sharpening screwdrivers, is simply done on a 6" grinding wheel, (or larger),
as previously mentioned. This will give you a nice "hollow grind" on the
tip, which is as close a needed to make the  sides of the blade match the
sides of the slot.
In modern made wood screws, most are either stamped or cast, so the slot is
flat at the bottom of the slot.
BTW, try not to use Zinc plated screws, because the plating "dulls" the
cutting edges of the screw thread and has a greater propensity to strip out.
(Just more food for thought<G>) Sheesh! I've probably told you more about
screws, than you really wanted to know! <G>
Have a good Wednesday, (in preparation for P.O.E.T.s DAY<G>)
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)