need help on an appraisal

Kdivad@aol.com Kdivad@aol.com
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 15:07:11 EDT

In a message dated 10/9/02 1:29:35 PM Central Daylight Time, Wimblees@aol.com
writes:

> David
>
> This is where the fallacy comes in. You have not "made" $7000 in a year.
> How much time did you spend working on this piano? That is what you are
> getting paid for. You spent countless hours working for that money. Time
> you could have spent working on someone else's piano.
>
> Wim

Wim, because we were just generalizing figures it may seem like I am making
nothing on the investment.  This is how it works for me, I spend $10k on a
"M"( if it needs a new soundboard I do not buy it).  I restore the piano and
allow $8k toward costs which is approximately what I charge wholesale dealers
to restore their pianos.
I make money on the restoration the same as if I was restoring a dealers
piano but then I sell the piano and pick up another $7k. Get it?  There is
another way to look at it, suppose I just take the actual cost of the piano
and parts which we can round to about $14k then subtract from $25k which
leaves $11k for my work, far more than what I make on a wholesale restoration
and still a good bit more than what I make on a retail restoration.

The point here though is not what I can make speculating, but how much is it
going to cost Gordons customer to replace his piano?  Regardless, if you can
make money speculating or not, the price of a Steinway is the price of a
Steinway.

David Koelzer
Vintage Pianos
DFW