need help on an appraisal

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 16:56:06 EDT

In a message dated 10/9/02 2:08:51 PM Central Daylight Time, Kdivad@aol.com
writes:

> Wim, because we were just generalizing figures it may seem like I am making
> nothing on the investment.  This is how it works for me, I spend $10k on a
> "M"( if it needs a new soundboard I do not buy it).  I restore the piano
> and allow $8k toward costs which is approximately what I charge wholesale
> dealers to restore their pianos.
> I make money on the restoration the same as if I was restoring a dealers
> piano but then I sell the piano and pick up another $7k. Get it?  There is
> another way to look at it, suppose I just take the actual cost of the piano
> and parts which we can round to about $14k then subtract from $25k which
> leaves $11k for my work, far more than what I make on a wholesale
> restoration and still a good bit more than what I make on a retail
> restoration.

The supplies are $4000. Now, subtract from the $11,000 the cost of your shop,
electricity, insurance, etc., for the year it takes you to work on the piano
and to sell it. Also subtract the cost of miscellaneous supplies, telephone,
moving, and other miscellaneous expenses, and what do you get? Yes, you're
making money, but not as much as you think you do.

> The point here though is not what I can make speculating, but how much is it
> going to cost Gordons customer to replace his piano?  Regardless, if you
> can make money speculating or not, the price of a Steinway is the price of
> a Steinway.
>
> David Koelzer
> Vintage Pianos
> DFW

I will admit that I am out of touch with the price of Steinways. But as Alan
mentioned, to the insurance company it is still an 85 year old piano. Are
those worth $10 - 12,000?

Wim