Which ETD?

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 01:39:36 -0600

Hi Bill,

I think you might also consider Tunelab Pro. It is shareware and you can
try it before you buy it. I personally use RCT. I'd love to own a SAT 3 and
a verituner as well!

At 10:50 PM 10/9/02 -0400, you wrote:
>I've read everyone's reviews of the Verituner, and don't doubt that
>it has brought the calculation of a tuning up a notch from RCT,
>TuneLab and SAT by 1.) working from the basis of an 88-note sample
>rather than a 5-note sample (Obviously more accurate if the VT has
>its samples on hand before the tuning instead of as they come in
>during the tuning pattern), and by 2.) paying attention to *all*
>coincidental partials in an interval instead of just one.
>
>But having taken my RCT laptop out for showtime this summer, it's
>clear that the only practical ETD is one the size of a Compaq iPaq in
>the Spurlock clip holder. So the big question for me as I count my
>pennies towards a major jump towards an ETD is: is the slight drop in
>the precision of the tuning calculation greater than the ease of use
>of an iPaq unit which fits in a shirt pocket, and can be moved from
>Tuning pin to tuning pin? (This also allows the built in mic to do
>its best work.) Richard Brekne seemed to conclude that the
>differences in the calculated tuning were mainly in principle and of
>not that much practical value.
>
>IOW, if I choose an iPaq based ETD, is what I gain in compactness
>more than what I would lose in the sophistication in the tuning's
>calculation. (Speaking as a 30+year aura tuner.)
>
>Bill Ballard RPT
>NH Chapter, P.T.G.
>
>".......true more in general than specifically"
>     ...........Lenny Bruce, spoofing a radio discussion of the Hebrew
>roots of Calypso music

Regards,
Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.M.T., R.P.T. Tuner for the Center of
the Arts

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca

http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

3004 Grant Rd.