Which ETD?

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 10:25:55 +0200

Hello,

It all depends how good you are at aural tuning, as all these machines
can help you to produce more consistent results, but the ones working
with a 1 partial display need more tweaking in fact, or you change
your kind of tone and your tuning became somewhat unnatural IMHO
(because too much focused on the principal partial).

Having tried the SAT & RCT, I agree that only the VT produce musical
results without  much help from you as a tuner. That does not mean you
should not check, but I often now use all my energy to build tone
rather than check intervals, and I am amazed how good it sound after
that, while when using the others I was always somewhat uncomfortable
with the proposed pitch and stretch.

As I tuned since age of 20 (I am 46) but did not learn the partial
coincidence method before these 8 last years, I was may be less
confident in this approach, and that is why I was not totally
satisfied with the 1 partial machine.

But the VT is really an electronic tuner's hear, that is why it is so
efficient. It's weight/size is of course more than a Pocket PC, but I
consider it's use so much rewarding that it is worth all
disagreements.

Having an old brittle piano to sing after only 1 hour 15 work because
I could make really pleasing unison because I had enough time to voice
and check a few regulation makes the customer's calling you more than
other more "classical" tuners, because even a non musician can
understand there is a difference.

Hope that helps your choice.

Biased greetings from

Isaac OLEG