verituner

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 20:03:15 +0000

Don M. wrote:

<snip>
This must be a new feature that I am not familiar with in
Verituner Does this mean that you can tell Verituner, for example, that you
want the temperament octave a little narrower than a 4:2, and you want the
next 2 octaves above the temperament to be at 4:2, and
the top octave at a wide 4:1 double octave, the bass at a wide 6:3 and
the lowest octave at a wide 10:5
<snip>

Yes, this has been available since I got my machine, at least. (1 yr)  But
using a machine this way still leads to errors, because you are making
guesses as to what will fit the piano.  Educated guesses, and with time, you
certainly get better with guessing.

What the VT will do, using your example from above....

You like the temperament octave real "clean" with a contracted 4:2, instead
of guessing how much, let the machine measure both the 2:1 and the 4:2 and
put the tuning,say 70% between, favoring the 4:2.  Once you find the
percentage that works for you, it can translate to any instrument you might
come across.  Likewise, you can place target points anywhere in the scale,
from A0-C88, not just move the A's around, and have the rest of the tuning
adjust based on those A's.

I used to spend upwards of 15 mins. each tuning sampling and messing with
the graphing equalizer before tuning with RCT, and I did get some pretty
good results.  It's so much easier to fire up the VT, punch in my custom
setting, pick an optimizing temperament and just start tuning.

Ron Koval