Which ETD?

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 23:38:37 +0200

Hello Don Mannino

Well and here goes another misinformed opinion !
But coming from one of the most active support and beta-tester from the
product., so I presume it is a bit biased (?) (as mine with my wonderful
machine !).

A single partial display will stay a single partial display, and I doubt
that the computer hardware will be developed soon to produce real time multi
frequencies analysis.
RCT should be able in the future to compute a super tuning based on sampling
of more notes, but it may take some time to realize the computation, due to
the hardware of the computer's sound cards..

The Verituner have always computed every note based on octaves types for
these notes, weighting as a percentage the amount of stretch IN BEATS that
it gives all together to the octaves types (and now to the twelve's
relationship too)

This, in its standard modes.

 With the custom mode , you can, as Ron does, use the feature of the tuner
and allow no particular beat in the octaves, but ask the VT to compute the
stretch based on weight given to different types of octaves and other
intervals at the same time, with as many notes everywhere you want
For example 60%  for 4:2 relation type and at the same time 40 % 6:3 . (then
you could ask also to have 0.2 beats second for one kind too if you like it)

 IThis must be a new feature that I am not familiar with in Verituner.
I did not knew you where familiar with the Verituner at all
 Does this mean that you can tell Verituner, for example, that you want the
temperament octave a little narrower than a 4:2, and you  want the next 2
octaves above the temperament to be at 4:2, and the top octave at a wide 4:1
double octave, the bass at a wide 6:3 and the lowest octave at a wide 10:5?
This is what you can do with RCT's custom EQ function - you adjust the
octave stretch type at each octave, and you can tweak Dean's settings to
suit your tuning style.  The program then smooths the differences between
your settings so that there is a smooth progression from section to section.
Does Verituner now allow this type of flexibility?  If so, that is a great
improvement.
 Great improvement ! that had always been there !
RCT does not simply tune set octave types, as some seem to be suggesting -
it creates a smooth curve, balancing it from section to section to fit in
with whatever octave type you want.  So if you want a 12:6 octave type in
the first octave you set that, and then you can choose slightly narrow or
wide very easily with software 'sliders' in custom EQ. It's really very fast
and easy, and is done after sampling the piano so that you actually fit the
individual piano scale.
Yes but it is done arbitrarily, you force the piano to sound in tune with
the curve, the VT allows you to tune the piano harmoniously, based on every
note, that is a difference in concept, sorry.

Another benefit of this adjustability is that if, while tuning the piano,
you find that your usual octave type doesn't fit this piano well (like maybe
if that slightly wide 6:3 needs to be wider), you simply pop back to the
custom EQ screen and change it again.  Takes a few seconds.
I don't worry more with octave types as the tone of the tunings are pleasing
enough, I check the taste of other intervals, and hardly find even to move
the stretch feature.

RCT also remembers your settings, so that on the next piano your octave
tweaking will still be applied to the new measurement.  It is good to look
at it again and make sure the octave tweaks still make sense after measuring
a new piano, but only slight changes are needed from one piano to the next.
 Absolutely unnecessary with VT IMHO
By the way, I think that calling RCT a "single partial" device is a little
misleading.  The software  listens to all partials together, and balances
the coincident partials into a tuning, just like the ear does.

Untrue, sorry, the software listen to the available partials of 6 A's or if
it have been changed, that is a big improvement (;>) but all other ETD are
single partial display, hopefully, my ear is a multi partial device.

  Besides the number of samples used, the difference between RCT and
Verituner seems to be (as Ron's wrote) that Verituner adjusts to partial
strengths, while RCT give preference to the octave type that the tuner has
chosen.  Both approaches will give good but slightly different results -
which results are "better" becomes a subjective argument that each tuner
needs to answer for him/her self.

Of course the difference lies more in the hardware and in the global
approach, life is not so easy. But I am sure that Dean, now he is finished
with the Pocket pc platform, will have his product evolved in more partial
checking on more notes, and then you will obtain a more adjusted tuning.

There was an idea to allow for the break notes to be part of the computation
in times, this feature may not be too difficult to implement I guess.

With all due respect.

Isaac OLEG

Don Mannino RPT