which ETD?

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 02:49:50 +0000

snip

Hi Ron,

You are somewhat in error about RCT. When it is gathering information it
does not "limit" itself to a single partial. On the six A's that it listens
to approximately 30 measurements are taken and then those partial ladders
are "balanced" just as an Aural tuner would do. In tune mode it becomes a
single partial device.

snip

Hi Don,

Sorry if what I said made you think that RCT only samples a single partial.
No, no, no.....

Let me try another way.  The 5, or 6 A's provide a partial 'ladder'.  The
machine uses the sampled partials, along with the custom and stretch
information to move all the A's around.  In fact, I used to quick tune the
A's before starting, just to make sure I liked the blend from end to end.  I
got pretty good at using the graph to assist, and I could usually 'hit' it
with the first try.

Now, the machine makes some assumptions.... (big opportunity for mistakes in
life when we make assumptions!)  Based on the information gathered from
those 5, or 6 notes, it predicts how all the other notes fit into the
partial progression, creating the smooth curves graphs of a single partial
for each part of the scale.  So, when it tunes an Eb3 to match an Eb4, it
has no direct reference, only a very educated guess on where to place those
notes.  Anyone that has tuned a Baldwin Hamilton with a machine knows the
challenges that awkward scaling can present to a machine.  If you tune to
the 6:3, the 4:2 is going to be beating a few beats a second.  If you tune
to the 4:2, the 6:3 going to give you problems.  Only by balancing those
intervals can you make a bad situation "less bad".  The typical machines are
only following along to a calculated progression of one partial, that
switches throughout the scale.

help any?

Ron Koval