Coffee spill in a tropicalized concert grand

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Sat, 12 Oct 2002 00:17:16 -0400

BTW, for all of your contributions.  They have been a wonderful resource =
to me.

I just purchased a 1933 Wissner concert grand (clone of an S&S D), which =
is in need of partial restoration.  Among its strengths is a magnificent =
sounding board with ample crown, no cracks, tight bridges and ribs, and =
a deep, rich tone.  The excellent condition of the sounding board is =
rather amazing, considering that there were at least a couple of coffee =
spills onto the treble end of the sounding board, splattering onto the =
hammers, and that the coffee was not mopped up but rather left to dry =
where it had pooled to probably about 1/4" deep!  The coffee residue is =
quite thick.

Anyway, I noticed in a Wissner catalog (obtained from Ebay by the man =
who sold me the piano) that Wissner pianos were tropicalized (I presume =
including the model H, which is mine).  I don't know much about =
tropicalization methods.  Might the sounding board have been treated in =
such a way as to withstand moisture (e.g. spilled coffee)?  Could =
tropicalization also be responsible for the excellent preservation of =
the sounding board through decades in which climate control might have =
been lacking?   More importantly, is there anything special I should =
know about a tropicalized piano that might affect how I would best clean =
the coffee residue from the sounding board???  I already checked the =
"How to Clean Anything" book, but it didn't say how to clean clean =
coffee from a tropicalized sounding board ;-)

Thank you for your advice!

Peace,
Sarah Fox