Bridge cap materials

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@real.uwaterloo.ca
Sat, 12 Oct 2002 16:27:42 -0400

Del writes:

>Yes, in the re-sawing and planing. That's why I'd prefer rotary cut
>material if I could find it in less than $5000 lots.
>  [...]
>This stuff is readily available but, as Ron points out, at some cost. Most
>venders want to deal only with very large orders.

http://www.forloversofwood.com/us/pricelist.html

If you can use 1.6 mm hard maple for laminations my local supplier has 1/16
veneer. They ship lumber all over north America, any quantity. They'll sell
you 1 sq ft if you want. No customs duty on sawn lumber and veneers Canada
to US (current softwood lumber trade war notwithstanding). You pay a flat
fee of $15 for brokerage fees plus UPS shipping plus handling fee of $10 if
the order is under $100. [This stuff is cut for intended for bent
laminations and luthiers]

Dale asked about where I get maple. Same place and they ship lumbers too
and have a good supply of hard maple of excellent quality up to 4" stock.
Check http://www.forloversofwood.com/us/pricelist.html has the current
maple prices in $US (not cheap of course).

[PS I have no commercial connection with A&M Woods by the way. Lucky for me
they're local.]

Stephen

Stephen Birkett Fortepianos
Authentic Reproductions of 18th and 19th Century Pianos
464 Winchester Drive
Waterloo, Ontario
Canada N2T 1K5
tel: 519-885-2228