RE: Coffee spill in a tropicalized concert grand (OTà tropicalized

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sat, 12 Oct 2002 10:41:33 +0200

Tropicalized pianos mean they will stand humid climate, may be they need to
be spilled with water to keep their properties, and the coffee was an
attempt to add moisture (the guy was in a hurry and did not have other
liquid).

;>) sorry .

I doubt the board suffer really from that, but for hammers, and strings
that's another thing.

Nice that the tone is yet good.

Regards.

Isaac O
  -----Message d'origine-----
  De : pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]De la
part de Sarah Fox
  Envoyé : samedi 12 octobre 2002 06:17
  À : pianotech@ptg.org
  Objet : Coffee spill in a tropicalized concert grand

  Hello, list,

  I am a new subscriber.  I've been getting valuable info from pianotech for
some time now, but I've only now had reason to subscribe.  Thanks, BTW, for
all of your contributions.  They have been a wonderful resource to me.

  I just purchased a 1933 Wissner concert grand (clone of an S&S D), which
is in need of partial restoration.  Among its strengths is a magnificent
sounding board with ample crown, no cracks, tight bridges and ribs, and a
deep, rich tone.  The excellent condition of the sounding board is rather
amazing, considering that there were at least a couple of coffee spills onto
the treble end of the sounding board, splattering onto the hammers, and that
the coffee was not mopped up but rather left to dry where it had pooled to
probably about 1/4" deep!  The coffee residue is quite thick.

  Anyway, I noticed in a Wissner catalog (obtained from Ebay by the man who
sold me the piano) that Wissner pianos were tropicalized (I presume
including the model H, which is mine).  I don't know much about
tropicalization methods.  Might the sounding board have been treated in such
a way as to withstand moisture (e.g. spilled coffee)?  Could tropicalization
also be responsible for the excellent preservation of the sounding board
through decades in which climate control might have been lacking?   More
importantly, is there anything special I should know about a tropicalized
piano that might affect how I would best clean the coffee residue from the
sounding board???  I already checked the "How to Clean Anything" book, but
it didn't say how to clean clean coffee from a tropicalized sounding board
;-)

  Thank you for your advice!

  Peace,
  Sarah Fox