Bridge cap materials

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 12 Oct 2002 08:38:46 -0400

How does laminating maple at whatever angle affect its hardness - i.e. how is this better than solid quarter sawn stock?

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Nossaman" <RNossaman@cox.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, October 12, 2002 12:29 AM
Subject: Re: Bridge cap materials

>     Del
>     I suppose falconwood to have essentially the same non-desireable
> characteristics as the delignit?  Is the cap making you employ time
> consumning > How many laminations? Never mind I can guess but the
> hardness issue remains,I mean it's still maple.
>     Dale

Dale,
The problem with notching Delignit, and likely Falconwood as well though I
haven't tried it, is the 90° cross ply. Laminating 1.5-2mm maple at under
10° angles gets you enough cross plying for strength, but it's still close
enough to parallel to hand notch if you don't happen to have built a power
notcher just yet. Try it. It's terrific stuff.

Ron N