Bridge cap materials

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 19:48:54 -0700 (PDT)

On this topic, someone please explain to me why I have
seen so many mid-19th century pianos ( Chickering,
etc.) with REALLY thin bridges, yet not a split in'em,
anywhere! How'd they make them? And of what? Someone
once told me they were pearwood, or some such! Why not
Locust ("Ironnwood") for bridge caps? FAR denser than
any maple! I remember trying to chop some on a camping
trip. It laughed at us.
     Gordon Stelter