Supply house confidentiality on prices

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 21:57:35 -0700

>Though hanging up on this individual crossed my mind for a fleeting
>instant, the fact that she's a teacher who has given me many new customers
>(not to mention my own sense of civility) precluded such a response.  The
>point, which was made in the previous conversation, is that the wholesale
>prices are not really wholesale but available upon request, it would seem.
> BTW, the previous cover came with the piano (i.e., not provided by me)
>and had American Piano Supply's name which she accessed through the
>internet and came up with Schaff.

So...this person, who you have a long-term relationship with, and has
given you thousands of dollars in business, is definitely entitled to
wholesale on supplies.

I rarely charge a markup for parts, but I'm careful to charge for all the
time I spend on a piano at the highest rate I'm comfortable with, and as
my reputation grows I up my rate.  Good people understand the value of an
into-it craftperson, and that they essentially get what they pay for in
any high-end service.
"Expensive, but totally worth it...." An epithet I can live with every
day......David A.