Supply house confidentiality on prices

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 09:18:33 EDT

In a message dated 10/15/02 10:59:30 AM !!!First Boot!!!, jonpage@attbi.com
writes:

> Case in point:
>
> I received a call for a piano owner last night who purchased touch weight
> analysis equipment and
> directions from Bill Spurlock. He wanted me to talk him through the
> procedure.  I mentioned the
> upcoming Regional Seminar in May and suggested he take the classes which
> would be of interest to him.
> He plans on buying parts from Steinway...I wonder how far he'll get.
>
> A few years ago, someone wanted a reroll mechanism installed into their
> player piano.  They balked at
> my quote saying they could buy the unit from Player Piano Co for a lot less
> than that.  I suggested that
> they purchase the unit and I'd install it.  Nope, they wanted me to buy it
> and give it to them at my cost.
> Ultimately, they were too cheap to spring for an installation charge.

Not that I go around asking customers to buy their own parts, but if someone
asks, I give them the information. Sooner or later they will run into a
problem, and they''ll call you to fix it. Most of the time it winds up
costing them more to correct the mistakes than if they had just had me to do
the work in the first place.  And for the few times the customer did do the
work, hey, it's a free country. And who knows, maybe we'll get someone else
to join our trade. Are we against that?

Wim