Supply house confidentiality on prices

Tue, 15 Oct 2002 07:09:59 -0700

I don't begrudge anyone shopping for the lowest price.  However, Schaff and
many other suppliers represent that the wholesale prices it offers are for
technicians, or trade individuals, only.  I believe that years ago Schaff's
catalogue even had retail prices printed in it and the wholesale pricelist
was separate.  Though this incident may be an anomaly, it seems that the
wholesale prices are available to those not in the trade.   When considering
mark up on materials I am operating on the assumption that this item cannot
be purchased directly by the consumer.  If it can it undermines the
integrity of my mark up.  Though I could charge a simple handling fee for my
time, that is different than a mark up for profit.  In this particular case
I did add a modest handling fee owing to the long relationship I've had with
this person and have no regrets about offering it to her for virtual
wholesale.  But, generalIy, would prefer to have more control over that
option than I did in this particular case.  This is more difficult when, It
seems, that the stated policies of the suppliers are somewhat inconsistent
with their policies in practice.

David Love

----- Original Message -----
From: <JIMRPT@aol.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: October 15, 2002 5:04 AM
Subject: Re: Supply house confidentiality on prices

In a message dated 15/10/02 6:59:30 AM, jonpage@attbi.com writes:

<<" It seems that the suppliers should establish a retail price list for
those
who have not established a commercial account with them. ">> JP

<<"But it takes a

bit out of it when these items are evidently available to the public at

wholesale prices.">> David Love

Jon, David, et al;

 While I tend to agree with these sentiments.....I need to keep in mind my
own proclivity for shopping for the best prices when I am buying something.
Do we not all do this if there is the opportunity to do so ? ....... i.e.,
multiple sources for the same item.  Do we buy stuff from Sam's
Club/B.J.'s/Walmart, etc. that we could buy from a specialty shop? After all
the specialty shop was started and is run for the customers convenience at
finding that special item that is sometimes hard to find?........ and isn't
that owner entitled to their profit for their efforts on our behalf??  And
how many of us shop 'on line' to find the best deal? ..ever use e.bay or the
like?

 A wholesaler who shops 'out the door' is not as valuable as one who does
not
and it matters not the trade/business involved. Of course when it affects
'us' negatively.... directly in the pocketbook...we tend to take a narrower
view of such things.....huh?

 I don't think that Schaff makes a habit of giving out prices/selling
merchandise to the general public....at least in my experience with
them...the same can not be said for 'some' other tuning trade suppliers.

 While it may be irritating when something like this happens, i.e., customer
finding cheaper source, it is easier to handle if we have a policy for
handling this type of thingee............... perhaps that policy might be
'hands off' any such deal....perhaps it might be accomodate the customer at
no charge......perhaps it might be removing the customer from the client
list......perhaps it may be to explain that you are in business and earn the
profit you need so that you will be in business the 'next' time that
customer
needs your services..........or even perhaps 'no policy' will be 'your'
policy'..........
Whatever the case   ..... remember a free market works both ways and you
can't exclude 'your' portion of it from the common features found in
same........ though often I would like to!! :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)