Supply house confidentiality on prices

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 06:35:42 -0400

Susan,

Part of the mark-up problem is that there is no universal standard that
crosses all service-type occupations.  An HVAC guy told me his company
marks parts up 25%.

If one is in an occupation where the typical mark-up is 100%, then to a
client that may seem excessive in relation to 25%.  (One could mention
that it is rumored some retailers in some businesses have some mark-ups
of 300% or more.)  The service technician may know there are very
defensible reasons for the higher mark-up, but the client will not.
Rather than having to go through all the reasons, it seems easier just
to say nothing.

I make almost nothing on parts as it is, aside from Dampp-Chasers.  Even
if I would mark up some little part like a hammer shank 300% (I don't,
other than using a $1 minimum charge), my profit is barely enough to pay
for the time it takes to write the item on the invoice.

In relation to your "Percentage markup..." paragraph, there appears to
be a mix of parts markup and labor charges.  In addition, I think we use
percentage markups just to keep some sanity in our lives and a
reasonable consistency in pricing.  How would we feel if we were on the
receiving end of someone who prices differ, depending on how heavy the
item is to carry?

And if I charge depending on how long I had to keep an item in stock, I
could end up charging three times as much for a set of small cork bridle
straps compared with medium cork.  That doesn't seem fair, either.
Although I favor using a standard markup, on occasion I will reduce my
markup on a more expensive item such as a piano truck.

My conclusion is that although I see some deficiencies in using a
standard markup, it's simple, and that in itself has merit.  Life is
complicated enough as it is.

Regards,
Clyde