Piano Lac Finish

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 08:31:06 -0400

At 09:00 PM 10/15/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 10/15/2002 5:07:53 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
>jonpage@attbi.com writes:
>
>    Jon Page writes
>>Since the material has a higher solids content than lacquer you need to
>>spray lighter coats, this is a little hard getting used to.
>>It is perfect for 'overspray' finishes too. Believe it or not, PianoLac is
>>the perfect finish material.

The correct term is 'spray-over'. If the present finish is still viable,
spot filling and a good sanding
will accept sealer and topcoat with good results.

    Jon
>    The black is great but the gloss is what I'm having major league
> problems with. So your saying the rub effect just lays down and flows?I
> hope I get to see that soon.

Do you have a low humidity environment?  Try spraying on a rainy day...

>Jon while your spraying all those light mist coats does the effect look
>like kind of  spackly & dry that doesn't really flow out but just sits
>there just on the surface? and as you build more funky looking coats it
>fills in and flows?? Is that how it's supposed to work? I'm spraying right
>now with the turbine air gun that Art was kind enough to loan me  ,at 50%
>R.H. set by him  and were still not there.

Not mist coats, lighter coats than what one usually applies with lacquer
but still wet.  Spray 6' to 8" from the surface.  Once you get the spraying
technique down, the process becomes almost effortless. So much so that
you'll probably want to drop your rates since it's so easy :-)

>         I,m not trying to run the product in the down but I got off to a
> incredibly bad start for a variety of reasons which were not all Mine.
> Arthur has been trying to be helpful but nothing I've heard so far about
> flowing out, or builds beautifully, even remotely resembles what I've
> gotten so far. Yes I'll admit it's different process and I'm not the
> primary refinisher here. But really we've tried so many things I'm
> beginning to wonder if I got a Bad batch of material. Hey it happens. The
> black is great!! Never going back to nitro there.

I have a tendency to spray heavy. It is a bit of a chore to keep reminding
myself to lighten up.  I don't spray all that often so I get rusty and
forgetful.
You saw the finished pieces here in my shop, some rubbed out some were not,
and the ones which were not rubbed out looked better than most
of the refinishers out there.  The times I do remember having orange peel
was in the dead of winter when the humidity was way down and'or the area
was too cold.  I time refinishing projects now for warmer weather, when we
can do the sanding outside and not have to vent heated air to the outside.

Get the spraying technique right and a handle on the heat & humidity and
you'll be on track.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.