Objective EBVT History

SidewaysWell1713@aol.com SidewaysWell1713@aol.com
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 12:48:01 EDT

In a message dated 10/16/02 1:06:56 AM Central Daylight Time,
jkanter@rollingball.com writes:

> You can see for yourself to what extent the EBVT has been consistent, and
> how well it matches Bill Bremmer's descriptions of what he has been trying
> to achieve, culminating with high praise from Owen Jorgensen for the
> improved EBVT. I have added dates and sources for every one of the 20
> charts and related quotes, and have created it so it runs like a slide show
> -- click on the first thumbnail to start, then click on each chart to
> advance to the next in the series. Revealing. Instructive. Enjoy.

Fascinating indeed.  I think you should try those Quasi Equal and Modified
Meantone examples and see for yourself that wacky looking graphs often make
for truly good sounding temperaments.

I stick by what I've always said, the basic idea never changed substantially.
 The range of M3 sizes always remained within a narrow band.  I still use
some of the custom programs I created many years ago, some as long as 9 years
ago because they create beautiful, harmonious and musical sounding tunings.

The problem with not only yours but some other people's mathematical analyses
of some of the aural descriptions and/or electronic data that I sometimes
provide (maybe with some transcription errors thrown in just for fun
sometimes too, who knows?) is that in order to really compensate for
inharmonicity, you never really can hold true to theoretic values, never.
Yet, the only way you can calculate anything is on that basis.  Moreover, I
never use the same partial selection as I think most calculated electronic
tuning programs use.  In a lot of cases, you're looking at an apple and
wondering how it could be orange.

I certainly do know what an imbalance is yet I still use programs which you
theorists and mathematicians have shown to have theoretical imbalances.  In
the real outcome of the tuning, they do not.  In the end, the desire is for a
musically pleasing outcome, not for a nice looking curve on a graph.  The
desire is for it all to fit together and that is what any good aural tuner
does, regardless of which temperament is being used.

I do appreciate your hard work in this, it shows a great deal of talent,
perception and analytical ability.  But it seems to me like the smart kid who
took Daddy's shiny new sports car out just to lay rubber and do "donuts" in
the parking lot.  The graphs do show trends but when *consistency* is being
scrutinized, anyone could look at them and say that nothing appears
consistent at all.

Now, just consider one good source of data for a moment:  the "Master" tuning
records from the PTG Exams.  If the ideal model of ET were always able to be
*consistently* tuned, there wouldn't be any need for these "Master" tunings
to be set up on a custom basis each time an exam is given.  But the truth is
that each piano is a little different and each Exam Committee's perception of
an ideal ET is a little different, thus the results of each "Master" tuning
are a little different but fall within a fairly narrow range.

Finally, I dispute the claim that Ed Foote had anything to do with this
except to be the jealous kid from the slum neighborhood who wished he could
drive that sports car but couldn't.  Not only would the owner never permit
it, he couldn't anyway because he never learned to drive a manual
transmission.  So, in hatred and jealousy of something he envied so much but
could never have, he chose to throw eggs at it instead.  All of Ed Foote's
comments from the very beginning and throughout the history of the EBVT have
been destructive and malicious and have been so intentionally.

While he has the right to express his opinion that way in this free and open
forum for discussion, doing so in such a destructive and malicious manner
only opens his own practices up to the same kind of scrutiny.

"Sideways Well":  the pit Ed Foote dug for himself to wallow in the day he
knowingly published false data for the EBVT on Pianotech.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin